There are so many topics that are polarizing in every country. It may be Donald Trump in the United States or the new Toblerone shape in England but in India it is probably mayonnaise!
This may be a quick headlining joke but I am not kidding when I say that there are so many people in India who either love mayonnaise or loathe the very sight of it. But whether you love it or hate it, you can admit that the store bought version is generally extremely unhealthy. With vast amounts of preservatives, emulsifiers, stabilizers and extremely unhealthy oils I personally tend to steer clear despite loving this condiment.
But my love for DIY is everlasting and I knew there would be a healthy alternative available. I put on my Dora hat and found this great recipe that is rich in healthy fats and protein. So it isn’t just a healthy alternative to one of the world's most used condiments, it’s consumption is also beneficial for you.
So without further ado, onwards we must go!
4 egg yolks at room temperature
1 Tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1 Teaspoon regular or Dijon mustard (or ½ tsp dried mustard)
Salt to taste
1.5 cups coconut oil
- Machine whip the 4 egg yolks till their nice and fluffy
- Add just a single teaspoon of the oil and whisk vigorously till it is incorporated
- Add salt and lemon juice / ACV while continuously whipping the mixture
- Now add the remaining oil in a teaspoon at a time
- Once the mixture is light and airy add in your Dijon Mustard
- After blending this mixture for 3-4 minutes add any optional flavourings you might like mint, garlic, pepper, sriracha sauce or even fresh herbs
- Blend this mixture for a 2-3 minutes more and we’re done!
- Refrigerate for upto 2 weeks.
- If you wish your mayo to be less “nutty” and more traditional. Replace 1 cup coconut oil with 1 cup extra virgin olive oil but do keep atleast ½ cup coconut oil for it’s astounding health benefits.
- While this DIY will look luscious and taste divine, the lack of stabilizers may cause it to separate in the fridge so in that case re-whip it with 2-3 drops of water.
- This recipe will yield over 1.5 cups of mayonnaise.
What are the benefits of these ingredients?
- Coconut Oil
Over twenty years of research has proven that this is a miracle ingredient, that aids in weight loss, decreases your risk of heart disease, protects your brain and immune system.
- Dijon Mustard
Mustard seeds are excellent sources of the trace minerals selenium and magnesium, which not only help with cancer prevention, but can also manage symptoms of asthma, arthritis, high blood pressure, and migraines
- Egg Yolk
Egg yolks have been vilified for years because of the fact that they contain cholesterol and saturated fat. But on the contrary, the cholesterol and saturated fat in animal foods like egg yolks are actually really healthy. Egg yolks are an excellent source of healthy fats and protein, while also providing vitamins that most humans are deficient in.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has shown great promise in improving insulin sensitivity and helping to lower blood sugar responses after meals.
So are you up for this healthy mayonnaise? Try it and do comment below if you loved it!